The holders of the college certificate in education techniques for children will work with children aged 0 to 12 years in different care recognized in Quebec: early childhood centers, day care centers, day nurseries, kindergartens, child care in a family environment, and child care in schools..
- Average starting salary: $ 12.24 to $ 18.36 / hour
- Placement rate: 98.2%.
Educators and teaching assistants in early childhood perform some or all of the following functions:
Educators of early childhood:
- prepare and implement daily activities that promote children's development;
- direct the activities of children by telling or reading stories, teaching songs, demonstrating the use of simple musical instruments, preparing craft materials and show children how to use it, give children the opportunity to express their creativity through art, role play, music and physical activity, and taking the children to places of interest in the region;
- teach children good habits for eating, grooming and care of clothing;
- observe children for signs of learning disabilities or emotional problems and take the necessary measures;
- assess the skills, abilities, interests and needs of children;
- discuss progress or problems of children with parents and other staff members;
- build relationships with other community service providers to children and work with them;
- attend meetings and workshops to develop new teaching methods and discuss;
- plan and organize, as appropriate, activities for school-age children who attend child care programs before and after school;
- monitor and coordinate, as appropriate, the activities of other teachers and teaching assistants in early childhood.
The person holding the certificate of college studies in Early Childhood Education may also work in early childhood centers in installation. This certificate, together with three (3) years of experience allow him/her to be part of the custodial staff trained according to the rules on early childhood centers.